2012B NASA RallyCross Challenge Season
|2012B NASA RallyCross season|
|NASA RallyCross Challenge|
|Start date||9 September|
|End date||28 October|
|Drivers' champion||Josh Mertz|
|Privateers' Champion|| Tristan Hagenstein|
Great Lakes Motorsports
|Previous season||Next season|
The 2012B NASA RallyCross Challenge Season was the second season of the NASA RallyCross Challenge. The season started on 9 September and ended on 28 October. Brandon Lambert would not return to defend his title.
|1||Croft RallyCross||Croft, UK|
|2||Valkenwaard RallyCross||Valkenwaard, NED|
|3||Charlotte RallyCross||Charlotte, NC, USA|
|4||St. Eustache RallyCross||St. Eustache, CAN|
|5||Negus RallyCross||Canon City, CO, USA|
|6||Los Angeles RallyCross||Los Angeles, CA, USA|
|7||NASA Proving Grounds North||Lakewood, CO, USA|
|8||NASA Proving Grounds South||Lakewood, CO, USA|
- Island Rally and Riverside Rally were dropped in favour of shorter circuits, due to complaints from the fans that the racing was too strung out.
- Valkenswaard moves forward in the schedule to partner with Croft, to help cut costs with logistics
- Charlotte and Los Angeles both paid their race fees and had their tracks complete (partially for Los Angeles, due to budget issues) before the deadline.
- St. Eustache moved ahead of Negus
- NASA Proving Grounds hosted the final two races of the season.
2012B Drivers and Teams
|NASA RallyCross Car Entries eligible to score constructor points|
|Team Citroën Total||Team Citroën Total||2||Nick DiPalmo||2, 4-5, 8|
|Great Lakes Motorsports||Team Klondike||27||Tristan Hagenstein||1-5|
|MONSTER Ford World Rally Team||31hellomate Racing||5||Andrew Fessler||1-5, 7-8|
|Revolution Racing||Rockstar Energy Revolution Racing||23||Chris Wetz||All|
|Rockstar Energy Revolution Racing||51||Dylan Livengood||All|
|MRT||MRT Red Bull RallyCross Team||81||Josh Mertz||All|
|HWR Red Bull RallyCross Team||524||Cody Erdmann||All|
|MRT Junior||PCK Red Bull RallyCross Team||6||Dylan Smith||4-8|
|ATN Red Bull RallyCross Team||08||Adam Simons||All|
|Subaru World Rally Team||Subaru RallyCross||97||Jack Stroski||1-7|
|Major entries ineligible to score constructor points|
|Matt Wishart||Matt Wishart RallyCross||32||Matt Wishart||8|
|Revolution Racing||ProCupKarting RallyCross Team||6||Dylan Smith||3|
|Rookie Racing||SPEED Energy Rookie Racing||7||Nick Dawson||6|
|Best Buy Racing||Best Buy Racing||4||Doug DeNise||1, 5|
|Brian Mercurio||Turtle Beach RallyCross||41||Brian Mercurio||5-6, 8|
|Ian Dowdy||Chocolate Milk RallyCross||11||Ian Dowdy||8|
|Jeffrey Stanton||Jeffrey Stanton RallyCross||61||Jeffrey Stanton||7|
|Pillsbury Racing||Pillsbury Racing||6||Dylan Smith||1-2|
|Pillsbury Racing||32||Matt Wishart||1, 6-7|
|Solstice Racing||MONSTER Energy Solstice Racing||15||Keith Sherman||7|
Driver and Team Changes
- Brandon Lambert and the Red Bull Ford World Rally Team would not return to defend their titles.
- John Quinn and So Cal Autosport, due to lack of sponsorship, originally planned to just run Los Angeles but were forced to abandon the plans.
- Elliot Porterfield still remains injured after 2012A Negus. The 666 was briefly brought back to competition at Charlotte, rebranded as the #37 for Dylan Smith.
- Webler Motorsports sold their assets to Rookie Racing, and Nick Dawson appeared at Los Angeles.
- Brian Mercurio left Pillsbury Racing to form his own team, which raced at Negus and Los Angeles.
- The Red Bull RallyCross Team shrank from 5 cars to 3 at the beginning of the season, and renamed to Mertz Racing Technologies.
- The 81 and 524 were promptly kept on MRT, with the 08 moved to the new MRT Junior Team.
- Pillsbury Racing shrank from 4 cars to 2 after budget constraints, and also withdrew from Valkenswaard, Charlotte, St. Eustache, and Negus.
- After Valkenswaard, Dylan Smith promptly signed onto Revolution Racing for Charlotte. With a poor result, he left the team and joined the MRT Junior Team.
- Dylan Connolly was banned from NASA after a drug problem, and thus DC, Inc. closed.
- Solstice Racing appeared to close their doors, but fielded the #15 Subaru for Kieth Sherman at the North Proving Grounds.
Results and Standings
|Championship leader table|
|St. Eustache||Josh Mertz||5|
|Proving Grounds North||4|
|Proving Grounds South||9|
|Rd.||Race||Heat 1||Heat 2||Heat 3||LCQ||Winning Driver||Winning Team||Winning Manu.|
|1||Croft||Josh Mertz||Chris Wetz||N/A||Andrew Fessler||Josh Mertz||MRT||Subaru|
|2||Valkenswaard||Josh Mertz||Chris Wetz||N/A||Dylan Livengood||Chris Wetz||Revolution Racing||Mitsubishi|
|3||Charlotte||Jack Stroski||Tristan Hagenstein||N/A||Dylan Livengood||Cody Erdmann||MRT||Subaru|
|4||St. Eustache||Andrew Fessler||Dylan Smith||N/A||Josh Mertz||Josh Mertz||MRT||Subaru|
|5||Negus||Josh Mertz||Josh Mertz||Dylan Livengood||Brian Mercurio||Josh Mertz||MRT||Subaru|
|6||Los Angeles||Cody Erdmann||Adam Simons||N/A||Chris Wetz||Chris Wetz||Revolution Racing||Mitsubishi|
|7||NPVG North||Josh Mertz||Cody Erdmann||Andrew Fessler||Matt Wishart||Dylan Smith||MRT Junior||Subaru|
|8||NPVG South||Chris Wetz||Cody Erdmann||N/A||Josh Mertz||Josh Mertz||MRT||Subaru|
2012B Drivers' Championship
Points are awarded to the top 16 finishers.
BOLD - Driver won their heat, they get an extra bonus point
2012B Manufacturers' Championship
2012B Constructors' Championship